cc-metadata - Re: All content on this site is availabe under a CC license

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: All content on this site is availabe under a CC license
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:10:07 -0500

On Wed, 2005-09-02 at 15:27 -0800, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> We've seen folks say "All content on this site is available under a
> Creative Commons license."  There seems to be no way to say something
> similar in a machine readable format.

Any ideas?
Aren't there RDF vocabularies for doing first-order logic? Maybe something like:
    for all X,
        if X isPartOf http://example.com/ then x dc:license http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Another option is to just use a CGI program that takes its referrer and generates says that that URL is dc:license* blah blah blah. Or do some fancy Apache-level mod_rewrite redirection for those weird Content negotiation RDF finders.

If you're really bent on being annoying and not participating in the Semantic Web, you *could* put a TXT item in the DNS record for a domain. RFC 1464 is a possibility:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1464.html
But DNS-SD (Rendezvous) is probably better:

        http://www.zeroconf.org/Rendezvous/txtrecords.html

I'd also point out that sites that are all under one license are extremely rare. I can't say it about Wikitravel, for example; there's stuff on our site that's GPL or GFDL. I'd be interested to see the site that's 100% under the same license, 100% copyright by the site owner. Frankly sounds like lazy, sloppy bullshit to me; all the earmarks of a blogger.

~Evan

* Speaking of which: have we dropped cc:license yet? Seeing that it's in Dublin Core now?

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>