cc-metadata - Re: cc-metadata Digest, Vol 23, Issue 2

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: aaron <amw5t AT virginia.edu>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: cc-metadata Digest, Vol 23, Issue 2
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:07:26 -0500

Can spotlight read and write metadata for all those types?

Unless the Apple dev page is lying to me, minimally Spotlight can definitely read metadata for all those types. Spotlight isn't going to be officially released for a little while and I don't have the $500.00 to spare in order to get the pre-release 10.4 developer os + sdks to personally verify this though. Spotlight, however, is an Apple project that's all about metadata and I doubt they're lying. :) (http://developer.apple.com/macosx/tiger/spotlight.html).

As for writing metadata, that I'm not sure about. Since they wrote the code to parse all those file formats I am betting somewhere in the Cocoa APIs they expose write functions for them. It would be silly not to, but I just don't know right now.

1) is there anybody out there?
2) do you think this is an ok idea?
3) what suggestions/comments do you have?

Yes, probably, interspersed.

4) where can I find technical information on the XMP/RDF, etc and
exactly how it's generated and interpreted? Is there a library already
implemented for this?

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/xmp/topic.html

5) has CC figured out where they want license info embedded for
JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and GIF?

I believe XMP can be used for any of those, although it may make sense
in the future to support type specific metadata (e.g., EXIF).

6) is there already code to, for instance, generate a pretty picture
for, eg, <prohibits
rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/CommercialUse"; />?

You probably don't want to embed RDF directly into files. See
http://creativecommons.org/technology/mp3 for an example. That said,
depending upon your language, there might be a library for you to use.
PHP, C# and Java libraries have been announced here in the past. Or use
our web service http://api.creativecommons.org .

I was going to add a representation of the license info into the variable length JPEG comment header, inside the jpeg file itself. I downloaded ccPublisher a couple minutes ago and gave a picture I took a CC license. Did ccPublisher not add the license info into the file itself? (I wondered what was going on when it said it was uploading the license separately from the file). With just a couple bytes in that comment header I could write a tag marking the beginning of a CC license, a byte or more for bitwise access marking yes/no for CC properties, and an end of license marker. Is that a bad idea? That's actually what I meant when I asked if CC knew where they wanted to embed licensing info into PNG, TIFF, and GIF.

Sorry for my confusion and thanks so much for the response.

That the W word dare not speak its name is duly noted. :)

-aaron
amw AT mac.com 9BE3 44C4 B7E8 4230 D8CD B024 E0C1 C289 914B 3BC8
amw5t AT virginia.edu 6E62 9045 C1AE 4503 7671 C307 6EF9 1600 BCEA 1B87