cc-metadata - ultimate CC tool wishlist ?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Ivar Vasara" <ivar_vasara AT cbc.ca>
  • To: <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: ultimate CC tool wishlist ?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:14:44 -0500

I think it would be instructive to collect people's visions for a CC
tool.. what features the ultimate creativecommons tool would have..
what would it look like ?

After some thought on the topic (from a software developer's
perspective), here's my take..

Base System
- cross platform
- ideally provide both webapp and thick client interfaces...
- modular architecture
- open source

4(?) types of modules..

- license type plugins
- RDF definition
- educational component (wizard) assists people in selecting
appropriate license types for their needs (much like the creativecommons
site does now)

- atomic media format plugins
- these plugins would add support for adding licensing data to a
specific filetype

- metafile format plugins
- these plugins would allow the parsing of composite media types
(eg: .mov or playlists and would depend on the atomic media plugins for
support..

- publishing engine plugins
- provide easy media publishing ability..
(eg: ftp, custom webapp, bittorrent tracker, RSS feed, ???)

There's some debatable ideas put forward here ( the separation of media
and metafile format support, ability to create arbitrarily new license
types)
and I'm by no means a domain expert.. I just figured it would be good
to see what people are aiming for and throw my two cents in.

At this point my ability to put resources into making this vision a
reality are somewhat meager, but it's possible I'll be able to dedicate
some time to this in the future (especially if I have a clearly defined
spec to support my case..)

Ivar Vasara - Java Developer
ZeD - "more subversive than Karl Rove"
-- http://ZeD.cbc.ca --