cc-metadata - Re: Restrictive ranges confuse me.

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Aaron Swartz <aaronsw AT gmail.com>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Restrictive ranges confuse me.
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:34:48 -0500

> The RDF schema, seems, to me, to require that each possible Use, or Action
> be
> created twice, once as a Permission, and once as a Prohibition.
> This is because the range of the permits property is .... Permission.
> and the range of the prohibits property is Prohibition.
>
> 1) Am I misunderstanding the use of the range? or how this schema is meant
> to be used?

I think a little. The idea was that things would be established
against a baseline of copyright. Large general copyright uses would be
permitted (redistribution, modification, etc.) and some smaller things
would be prohibited (commercial use, obscenity, etc.). I can't imagine
many (or any) instances where there would be something that one
license would allow and another would prohibit.

So, for example, if one license prohibits commercial use, other
licenses don't have to explicitly permit it (it's implied in the more
general permissions of Reproduction and Distribution that all forms
are allowed).

> 2) Do I need to create my various new Actions twice, once as Prohibitions,
> once as Permissions?

Well, the same action could be both, but unless you have an actual
instance where you have one license granting only X and another
prohibiting X (if so, let me know), then I'd just define it as the one
you're actually using it for.

I hope this helps,

- Aaron Swartz, schema author