cc-metadata - Restrictive ranges confuse me.

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Enrico Silterra <es287 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Restrictive ranges confuse me.
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:20:42 -0400

I asked this a couple of days ago, but I think that I was not very clear.
(and I think I was on the wrong list).

The RDF schema, seems, to me, to require that each possible Use, or Action be
created twice, once as a Permission, and once as a Prohibition.
This is because the range of the permits property is .... Permission.
and the range of the prohibits property is Prohibition.

1) Am I misunderstanding the use of the range? or how this schema is meant to be used?
2) Do I need to create my various new Actions twice, once as Prohibitions, once as Permissions?
3) If I make a new class, Action, and make it a subclass of both Prohibition, and of Permission,
can I then create my actions only once?
Still confused, and TIA for any clarification.
Cheers,
Rick