cc-metadata - Re: ID3v2 and CC Metadata

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: ID3v2 and CC Metadata
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:00:38 -0700

Evan Prodromou wrote:
So, it seems like the embedding methods for MP3s mentioned on the CC
site only deal with the crufty old ID3v1 encoding mechanism.

We only use one frame, TCOP, which is defined in id3v2.3. It is also defined in id3v2.4, but there is almost zero support for id3v2.4 in applications, so our embedding tools write id3v2.3.

ID3v2 has a lot of interesting frame types, like terms of use,
owner, copyright, as well as interesting stuff for identifying
creators of derivative works and such.

http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames.txt

I wonder what the status is of determining the right frame types for
putting CC metadata into, as mentioned here:

http://creativecommons.org/technology/mp3

There are a lot of frames that could be interesting to licensors that don't have anything directly to do with CC licensing. See <http://www.socialtext.net/musicmetadata/index.cgi?id3_metadata_survey>.

  • ID3v2 and CC Metadata, Evan Prodromou, 04/29/2004
    • Re: ID3v2 and CC Metadata, Mike Linksvayer, 04/29/2004