cc-metadata - Re: cc:Agent, foaf:Agent

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Lucas Gonze <lgonze AT panix.com>
  • To: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: cc:Agent, foaf:Agent
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:09:19 -0500

On Wednesday, Jan 7, 2004, at 16:45 America/New_York, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
Still could, no?

Sure. I'm working out my own opinion by playing devil's advocate. Like a lot of people, I have much respect for FOAF-as-XML, so I can see the appeal.

As a rule you should avoid RDF in XML if it means you can't use an ordinary XML parser. That doesn't happen until you reach a critical mass, but every bit of RDF you put on gets you closer. It's already true that somebody can stuff true RDF into CC metadata, making it unusable in most apps.

The best reason to use foaf:Agent instead of cc:agent is that CC (like everybody) should reuse standards. That's the most compelling reason to use foaf:Agent, probably compelling enough to go ahead with it.