cc-metadata - cc:Agent, foaf:Agent (and/was Re: dc:identifier)

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: cc:Agent, foaf:Agent (and/was Re: dc:identifier)
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 17:07:12 -0800

Lucas Gonze wrote:
Better: use rdf:about attribute on the Agent.

That sounds like a good call, vs.

On Wednesday, Dec 31, 2003, at 13:48 America/New_York, Lucas Gonze wrote:
<dc:creator>
<Agent>
<dc:title>John Smith</dc:title>
<dc:identifier>http://example.com/john_smith</dc:identifier>
</Agent>
</dc:creator>

BTW, use of dc:identifier seems very loose, and I fear I've contributed to that a teeny tiny bit. Where I know the identifier is a URI, in RDF/XML it seems to make sense to use

<dc:identifer rdf:resource="http://example.com/john_smith"; />

The DTD at http://dublincore.org/documents/2002/07/31/dcmes-xml/ allows it and lots of people seem to be doing that, particularly with FOAF.

Veering even further from the subject, I'm not terribly happy about cc:Agent. It isn't widely used yet (<http://creativecommons.org/license> doesn't spit it out unless one provides the relevant, optional data), and FOAF now provides a widely used and better defined vocabulary for the same thing, namely <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/#term_Agent> and its subclasses.

Anyone have thoughts regarding adopting the FOAF vocabulary for agents?