cc-metadata - Re: CC LicenseLib - a .NET library for Creative Commons License Metadata

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: admin AT delegatetechnologies.com
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: CC LicenseLib - a .NET library for Creative Commons License Metadata
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:10:37 -0800 (PST)

Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> I just glanced at the source. It looks like you provide read and write
> methods for a format like
>
> <CCLicense Name="Attribution" ... NonCommercial="false"></CCLicense>
>
> I urge you to just use RDF/XML for serializing the licenses in XML (the
> one exception may be an expression of the licenses using a different
> rights vocabulary for integration with a system that knows e.g., ODRL).
> The RDF/XML serialization _is_ XML and may be embedded in any XML
> document.
>
> Just one other quick comment -- I see that you've got
>
> .m_uri = "http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/";
> .m_logo_uri = "http://creativecommons.org/images/public/somerights.gif";
> .m_logo_link = "http://creativecommons.org/learn/licenses/";
>
> The somerights/norights logos generally ought to link to a license
> deed/PD dedication. I'd suggest eliminating the m_logo_link property,
> as m_uri already has the correct link.

I have implemented some of the suggested changes to the library. Below is
a an excerpt from the "Releasenotes.txt" that is packaged with the source
code that defines the changes that were made and redefines a new "Roadmap"
for the project. As always, I'm interested in hearing comments and
suggestions regarding the functionality or future enhancements to the
library. Here are the release notes:

*********************
RELEASE CHANGES
*********************
Version 1.0.1 of the library is a "scaled back," more feasible approach to
a base version for the library. Some of the design decisions that were
made in version 1.0 were made a little prematurely and have been cut out
of version 1.0.1. The following is a list of changes that were made to the
library for this release:

-->Removed LogoLink Property from all classes
-->Removed SetLogo() Function from cc_license class
-->Removed XmltoRDF() Function - Unnecessary
-->Removed GetXML() Function
-->Removed ReadFromXML() Function

The XML Functions were taken out in order to rethink the way RDF/XML will
be implemented. After reading comments in the cc-metadata dicussion list,
I think a more robust/feasible way of implementing license metadata should
be looked at (See roadmap section for more info).

**********************
DEVELOPMENT ROADMAP
**********************
While I still have ambitions for building in database support and
additional utility objects, at this point, most of the focus for the
project will be in building a parser that can parse license metadata from
different types of files. The following is a new list of functionality
that the project will be focusing on for future revisions of the library:

-->Reading/parsing and writing of RDF/XML
-->Additional objects for storing Dublin Core properites and
creating the respective metadata output.
-->Database support for license information.
.....Object brokering for information flow in and out of the
database