cc-metadata - Re: Intro & CC mp3 metadata

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Intro & CC mp3 metadata
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 13:48:39 -0400

Chris Snyder wrote:

Wow, thanks! That was very informative, and timely as I'm starting work on an audio-blogging project into which I hope to weave CC license support.

Thank you! Don't hesitate to post questions or comments as you implement your audio-blogger. Feedback from early adopters/impmentors greases the skids for everyone who follows. :-)

But since I already run an imageblog with CC license support, I have to ask: is there are recommended field for license data in JPEG, PNG, and/or GIF images? A while back I was considering ways to put it in the HTTP headers that would be served with each image, but it makes more sense to embed a license-info URL in the image itself.

So... IPTC? EXIF? Is it possible to agree on and publicize a standard?

Yes. I'd like to publish recommendations for any format that supports embedded metadata. I'm mostly ignorant concerning image metadata, but I have a hunch we'll want to consider XMP <http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/xmp.html>, which is an RDF application and covers many file formats.

Screenshot at <http://www.pixvue.com/imagePropertiesHelp.html> indicates the existence of 'Rights Management/WebStatement' and 'Rights Management/Copyright' properties, which we could use for the same purposes as WCOP and TCOP MP3 ID3v2 tags respectively. I'd love to have someone do more research and formulate a draft recommendaton.

Mike