cc-metadata - Re: rss feed

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin AT law.miami.edu>
  • To: Aaron Swartz <me AT aaronsw.com>
  • Cc: metadata AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: Re: rss feed
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:03:12 -0500 (EST)

Yes, indeed, and it is working now. I admit I don't understand why, but
I'm just happy it's working. No, wait, inspecting it in a proper text
editor shows what you see. So it's working because it's right.

In my defense -- When I pulled the feed into mozilla this is what I saw
(usually I see title codes...and I don't here, so it fooled me):

http://creativecommons.org/weblog/ Creative Commons: weblog
2003-01-14T23:37 http://creativecommons.orgimages/openacs_logo_rss.gif
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/archive/2003/01/#3575 <p>Wired News says
Cory Doctorow "<a
href="http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,57152,00.html";>walks the
walk</a>" with the Creative Commons licensing of his <em>Down and Out in
the Magic Kingdom</em>. An excerpt from the <a
href="http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,57152,00.html";>story</a>:</p>
about persuading his publisher, Tor Books, to make Down and Out available
digitally for free under the new Creative Commons licensing system.
a.m. this morning," Doctorow said Thursday, "which exceeds the initial
marketing buzz from those downloads will be worth more than any lost book
sales. "I think that the Internet's marvelous ability to spread
information to places where it finds a receptive home is the best thing
may be watched closely as a test of whether the Creative Commons license
actually helps or hurts writers, but Tor senior editor Patrick Nielsen
Hayden said the value of free online publishing has already been
<em>Down and Out</em>. And anyone who reads it will be equally confident
of its trajectory.</p> 2003-01-11T03:56-06:00
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/archive/2003/01/#3568 <p>Richard Koman
has a nice first-hand <a
href="http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/policy/2003/01/03/cc.html";>account</a>
of our license release party on the <a
href="http://www.oreillynet.com/";>O'Reilly Network</a>. (This slipped past
our radar last week.) Koman describes the event as an <em>Eldred v.
Ashcroft</em> "reunion night," which is somewhat accurate, though we'll
take the opportunity to remind folks that Creative Commons has no official
ties to the Supreme Court case.</p> <p>Oh, and -- another fine distinction
-- this time Jack Valenti is on the same side as Lessig. Read Koman for
the details.</p> 2003-01-10T05:31-06:00
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/archive/2003/01/#3565 <p><em><a
href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0765304368/downandoutint-20/noref
">Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom</a></em>, the first novel by blogger,
cultural critic, and <a href="http://www.eff.org";>Electronic Frontier
Foundation</a> wonk Cory Doctorow, <a href="http://www.craphound.com/down
Mark Frauenfelder calls <em>Down and Out</em> "the most entertaining and
exciting science fiction story I've read in the last few years," and Bruce
Sterling declares, "Science fiction needs Cory Doctorow!"</p> <p>Doctorow
has published <em>Down and Out</em> under a <a
href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd-nc/1.0";>Creative Commons
href="http://creativecommons.org/learn/features/doctorow";>interview</a>
with the author -- our latest Featured Commoner.</p>
2003-01-09T12:28-06:00
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/archive/2003/01/#3564 <p>"People are
always looking for what side to be on, and there isn't just one side. . .
.. I think we're looking for a kinder, gentler, more equitable model where
more people can make a living off of this stuff."</p> <p>The wise words of
Jenny Toomey, musician, policy wonk, and Executive Director of the <a
href="http://futureofmusic.org";>Future of Music Coalition</a>. A nice <a
href="http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,57104,00.html";>piece</a>
in <a href="http://wired.com";>Wired News</a> sums up FMC's brilliant,
third-annual summit in Washington this week. 2003-01-07T10:19-06:00
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/archive/2003/01/#3563 <p>One more from
today's cosmic copyright coincidence file:</p> <p>"<a
href="http://www.salon.com/ent/music/feature/2003/01/07/dylan_boots/index.html";>Some
of These Bootleggers, They Make Pretty Good Stuff</a>" -- a <a
href="http://salon.com";>Salon</a> piece on Bob Dylan and "the hidden
industry he (unwittingly) helped create." Thought-provoking.</p>
2003-01-07T10:03-06:00
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/archive/2003/01/#3562 <p>An interesting
<a
href="http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/07/arts/design/07SAMP.html";>piece</a>
discusses "Illegal Art: Freedom of Expression in the Corporate Age," an <a
href="http://illegal-art.org";>exhibition</a> dedicated to works built in
part from other copyrighted works -- without permission.</p> <p>By
sign-of-the-times coincidence, I participated in a panel yesterday
entitled "The Illegal Imagination," at the Future of Music Coalition's
superb <a
href="http://www.futureofmusic.org/events/summit03/index.cfm";>summit</a>
in Washington D.C. Co-panelists Gigi Sohn (<a
href="http://publicknowledge.org";>Public Knowledge</a>), <a
href="http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sv24/";>Siva Vaidhyathan</a> (NYU),
musician <a href="http://www.baybie.clara.net/alfonso.htm";>Alfonzo
Blackwell</a>, and moderator Ira Glass (<a href="http://thislife.org";>This
American Life</a>) and I discussed precisely the same issues. Aided by
spirited audience participation (one of the many great hallmarks of the
FMC gathering), we discussed hip-hop and sampling, the ever-growing world
of "<a
href="http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/08/01/bootlegs/print.html";>mash-up</a>"
media, and copyright's influence on creativity, generally.</p> <p>"Though
copyright law can make for arcane discussion," writes the <em>Times</em>'
Chris Nelson, "popular culture has brimmed with the subject of late."</p>
to consider copyright "arcane" for much longer. Whether you're an artist,
a fan, a coder, or a casual web-surfer, knowing the ins and outs of
copyright -- for better or worse -- is already part of getting by in the
Otis Brown</em></p> 2003-01-07T09:28-06:00
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/archive/2003/01/#3561 <p>Innovative
content licensing seems to be catching on -- even beyond the efforts of
PTR</a> recently announced that they'll publish a series of technical
books under <a href="http://perens.com/Books/";>open-content licenses</a>.
Read the <a
href="http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/06/0134224&mode=thread&tid=156";>Slashdot
Perens</a> for brokering the move, and to <a
href="http://www.phptr.com/";>Prentice Hall</a> for joining <a
href="http://oreilly.com";>O'Reilly and Associaties</a> in the elite club
of enlightened commercial publishers.</p> <p>(You'll recall that the
O'Reilly folks recently adopted our <a
href="http://creativecommons.org/projects/founderscopyright";>Founder's
Copyright</a>, under which they'll release certain copyrights into the
public domain after 14 years, with an option to renew for another 14 --
just as the Framers' of the U.S. Constitution would have had it.)</p>
2003-01-06T08:11-06:00
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/archive/2003/01/#3559 Do you know
someone using a Creative Commons license for a unique or compelling
project? We like to profile such <a
href="http://creativecommons.org/learn/features/commoners";>Featured
Commoners</a>, and we'd like your suggestions. <a
href="mailto:info AT creativecommons.org";>Email us</a>.
2003-01-05T08:43-06:00
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/archive/2003/01/#3558 UK-based media
artist (and Creative Commons license adopter) <a
href="http://peoplelikeus.org";>People Like Us</a> will perform in New York
City this week. On January 8th, People Like Us (a.k.a. Vicki Bennett) will
screen the intriguingly titled "We Edit Life" at <a
href="http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7085374/";>Subtonic</a>. On the
12th from 5pm to 7pm EST, People Like Us will hit the airwaves with WFMU,
available at 90.1 or 91.1 on your dial or via webcast at WFMU's <a
href="http://wfmu.org";>site</a>. <p>Creative Commons had the honor of
featuring People Like Us at our recent license release party in San
Francisco. <a href="http://www.peoplelikeus.org/dnload.htm";>Check out</a>
the works People Like Us has already released under Creative Commons
licenses.</p> 2003-01-05T08:33-06:00
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/archive/2002/12/#3556 The <a
href="http://futureofmusic.org";>Future of Music Coalition</a> will host
their third-annual <a
href="http://futureofmusic.org/events/summit03/index.cfm";>Policy
Summit</a> January 4 through 7 in Washington D.C. The FMC3 summit will
bring policymakers, academics, lawyers, activists -- and, of course, a
number of premier musicians -- together for a discussion of artists'
rights and technology's influence on the music industry. <p>Glenn Otis
Brown, Creaitve Commons Executive Director, will appear on a panel, "The
Illegal Imagination," on Monday, January 6, along with <a
href="http://www.thislife.org/";>"This American Life"</a> host Ira Glass,
writer and lyricist <a href="http://www.eff.org/~barlow";>John Perry
Barlow</a>, musicians Doug E. Fresh and Alonzo Blackwell, <a
href="http://publicknowledge.org";>Public Knowledge</a> President Gigi
Sohn, and NYU professor <a
href="http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sv24/Bio.html";>Siva Vaidhyanathan</a>
Anarchist in the Library</em>). See the full program <a
href="http://futureofmusic.org/events/summit03/schedule.cfm";>schedule</a>.</p>
2002-12-31T02:20-06:00

--
Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
A. Michael Froomkin | Professor of Law | froomkin AT law.tm

  • rss feed, Michael Froomkin, 01/14/2003
    • Re: rss feed, Aaron Swartz, 01/14/2003
      • Re: rss feed, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law, 01/15/2003