cc-metadata - Public Domain Dedications: why do I need a "copyright date"?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Nathan Sharfi" <nisharfi AT tstonramp.com>
  • To: <metadata AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: Public Domain Dedications: why do I need a "copyright date"?
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 14:19:00 -0800

I'm filling in metadata about "Squiggle", my one-off SVG drawing that I'm
dedicating
to the public domain. However, it insists on a valid copyright date, and I'm
not
exactly sure *why*, considering that I thought that placing something in the
public
domain means that it's outside the scope of copyright.

Likewise, the mandatory "copyright holder's name" field is similarly puzzling.

Cheers,
Nathan