cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] input requested: BY-SA/GPL compatibility - license scope

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Andrew Rens <andrewrens AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] input requested: BY-SA/GPL compatibility - license scope
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 16:00:20 -0500

There are at least two considerations which suggest that the benefits of compatibility outweigh the risks.

1.The mandatory patent grant in the GPL helps to prevent strategic behaviour. Without that requirement a software vendor could licence code under the GPL and wait until it has been incorporated in many other programs and then demand patent licence fees. The requirement for a patent licence prevents that kind of behaviour.
A person licensing non-software under CC By SA cannot make someone else re-license under the GPL and so cannot engage in a strategy of licensing under CC By SA in order to extract patent revenue from users of software or combined works. The incompatibility does not encourage strategic behaviour to the detriment of licensees of the GPLed work.

2. Strangers to the licensors and licensees can obtain patents that can prevent use of CC By SA and GPL works, therefore there is always some risk of a patent claim - no downstream licensee can require complete protection from patent claims, there is no human or corporation in the world that can give that protection.

Andrew Rens