cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] input requested: BY-SA/GPL compatibility - license scope

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sarah Pearson <sarah AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] input requested: BY-SA/GPL compatibility - license scope
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 20:20:35 -0600

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Joshua Gay <jgay AT fsf.org> wrote:
Similarly, the FSF would like to know your thoughts on what we can do to
help. Would adding a short comment about it on our list of Various
Licenses and Comments about Them
<https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html> be sufficient? Is there
any other place that it might be helpful for the FSF to publish a
statement on this matter?

This sounds like a great idea. Similarly, CC would likely post something on its compatible licenses page, and possibly elsewhere.

This has been an excellent discussion so far. Thanks to everyone who is contributing. The only other thing I wanted to respond to directly was something Andrew raised, which was the point about how the license stewards could enforce their guidance about when not to take advantage of one-way compatibility with the GPL. You're right that we can't do anything binding or enforceable, but it is similar to the way CC has vocally asked people not to use CC licenses for software. Though not everyone follows it, this type of guidance does seem to have an impact on people's behavior.