cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Compatibility open issue #3: one-way compatibility

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Luis Villa <luis AT tieguy.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Compatibility open issue #3: one-way compatibility
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 16:48:34 -0700

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Kat Walsh <kat AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
These provisions could prove to be insurmountable obstacles to
two-way compatibility, but they  do not necessarily  foreclose the
possibility of one-way compatibility. Is this a possibility CC should
consider, or should reciprocity be a prerequisite?

There are situations where it can make sense, but of course many of those situations also don't work because it means they'll break up/split up a commons in some particular way. I don't know that CC should rule out one-way compatibility, but I'd think the situation should require a much higher barrier to compatibility - the need would have to be very specific, and either very low impact (i.e., very small amount of content affected) or very high evidence of firm, well-considered requests from the impacted licensors, or both.

Luis