cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Draft 4 discussion period: license drafts and open issues

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Draft 4 discussion period: license drafts and open issues
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 17:40:25 -0700

On 16/09/13 10:03 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

>> Attribution:
>> In the Attribution section, the URI requirement now more closely resembles
>> 3.0, in that URIs must be retained if supplied with the licensed material.
>> The requirement to indicate modifications is now independent of the URI
>> requirement, and indications of prior modifications to a licensed work must
>> also be retained.
>
> The URI requirement privileges hosting providers by allowing them to
> terms-of-service affix an effective advertisement onto works.

I'm torn. This ability has been there since 2.5, and exists as I
understand it to avoid burdensome attribution for Wikis.

But as an advertising attachment exploit it is clearly unacceptable.

There's a difference between contributing work to a massively
collaborative project and using (to take CC's example) an image hosting
service. Can this be made clear in the license?