cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Compatibility with GPL and issues with availability of source

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Compatibility with GPL and issues with availability of source
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 12:33:41 +0100

On 11/05/13 02:07, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:

I think it isn’t a problem in reality: If there is no source, then
whatever you have is the preferred for for making modifications *for
the project which uses the works under GPL* (because its developers
have no other sources).

Yes this is how shell scripts are licensed under the GPL for example.

Secondly, as it should be well-known, most works under CC licenses
(especially audiovisual works) don't release the source code,

As I said above, I think this is an issue that should be cured
independently from any license-conversion mechanism.

Also it is no real issue, because if there is no source, then what you get
becomes the source for you.

The problem is that there *is* source for many music and image files. There are structured, multi-layer/multi-track project files that are flattened or rendered to produce the assets used in the game. If I wish to have the same ability to edit the assets that the original producer did, I would ideally need access to those files.

The FDL covers this with its requirement of "Transparent" versions. People love the FDL. ;-)

I tried to define the requirements for cultural sources here:

http://robmyers.org/2007/08/26/cultural-sources/