cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Compatibility: please do not use an external list, insert explicit conversion clauses instead

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Marketply <contact AT marketply.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Compatibility: please do not use an external list, insert explicit conversion clauses instead
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 23:50:00 -0400 (EDT)

Gisle, I believe that future GPL compatibility "issues" can be solved elegantly, and what you've said about most creators not too worried about future incompatibility with GPL helps reinforce my belief.

Here's a way we can solve any future issues:

(I'm booked with a lot of work this month so here's a quick summary, and I may not be able to reply the same day).

Make all future GPL versions automatically compatible, except void whenever the CC community votes against compatibility.

Furthermore, the community may declare, as automatically compatible, any licenses of an organization. And if they do, those licenses become part of the compatible licenses.

There's more. For example, making the compatible licenses automatically become backward compatible with CC v4.0 and later licenses. Then add this language to the former licenses as an update-able section.

In turn, the stewards of the GPL license may have their community do the same for compatibility with CC licenses as pertains to copyrighted content.

Also, as a reassurance, people would only need a 20% vote to reject a backward compatibility (or perhaps any compatibility).

I know this isn't something people would readily accept this late in the game, but we'll be testing it at Marketply, so anyone may see the results and feasibility, and lessons. We'll strive to (empower our community to) make our license compatible in this manner with Creative Commons, GPL, and the MPL (to start).

Marino Hernandez
just a founder of Marketply
203-429-4205