cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Thoughts on NC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Gunnar Wolf <gwolf AT gwolf.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Thoughts on NC
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 19:33:37 -0500

Josh Woodward dijo [Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 08:01:12PM -0400]:
> Hey everyone, I just wanted to post a few of my thoughts on the NC license
> from the perspective of a musician, not a legal scholar. I started
> releasing my music under BY-NC-SA, which I gradually shed down to BY. The
> decision to drop the NC clause was definitely a somewhat agonizing
> one.
> (...)

As a proponent of Free Culture, and a newish creator, I congratulate
and thank you :)

> Another significant issue for me, which I discovered only later, was that
> CC-BY is incompatible with performing rights organizations. Logically, as a
> musician, it seems like I should be able to license my music outside of
> Creative Commons and collect the royalties from that. For instance, someone
> comes to me and wants to use my music in a commercial, but they need a
> traditional license because they can't provide attribution. I'm not able to
> collect royalties on that, since CC-BY works can't be registered with PROs.
> Again, being ignorant of all things legalese, there may be a good reason
> for this, but it seems really arbitrary to me.

Well, be aware that even if you released your work as CC, you will
always have the right to release it under different licenses. You can
release your music under BY-NC-SA and charge for it being used
comercially, without attribution and in modified form - You have the
"paternity" of the work (moral rights and patrimonial rights; moral
rights are inalienable, patrimonial rights can be ceded to
others). So, make your work CC, and don't fear: You can license it
comercially.

Of course, if your work remixes other CC works, you *will* have to
comply with each of the authors' licenses.