cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Attribution: please do not forbid accurate credit

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Attribution: please do not forbid accurate credit
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 12:31:38 +0100

On 04/06/2012 03:17 AM, Andrew Rens wrote:

You can regard me as one of those who are sceptical whether the Debian
Free Software Guidelines should dictate licences used for many things
that are not software such as free education resources. Why shouldn't
the Creative Commons community decide such issues of principle rather
than have them decided by for Creative Commons by the Debian community?

Debian do analyze licenses thoroughly and their concerns are worth listening to. But the same requirements were accepted as DFSG-free when Debian legal approved the 3.0 free licenses.

I've advised many potential users of Creative Commons licences who are
reluctant to use Creative Commons at all, or plan to use Creative
Commons Attribution No Derivatives because they are concerned that their
reputations will be irreparably damaged by a remix of the works which
they license under Creative Commons. Most have been sufficiently
reassured by the provision which allows the licensor to require that the
Attribution be removed to use CC By SA and CC By. If this provision is
removed then many of those Licensors will choose to use CC By ND, or not
to use CC at all.

Absolutely. Non-endorsement can be a major issue for institutions in my experience.

The solution having to remove attribution on demand might be to have an "additional condition" (under the 4.0 proposals) similar to the FDL's automatic removal of endorsements on derivatives/adaptations. I think this would remove the uncertainty and power imbalance that removal on demand introduces.

- Rob.