cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Attribution: please do not forbid accurate credit

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Andrew Rens <andrewrens AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Attribution: please do not forbid accurate credit
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 22:17:26 -0400

Hi Francesco

Thanks for raising this issue.

On 5 April 2012 13:50, Francesco Poli <invernomuto AT paranoici.org> wrote:
Hello everybody,
Section 3(a)(1) of CC-by-nc-sa-v4.0draft1 includes the following part:

[...]
>     You must, to the extent reasonably practicable, remove the
>     information specified in (i) – (iii) above if requested by
>     Licensor.
[...]

where information specified in (i) - (iii) is basically, the author's
name or pseudonym, the Attribution Parties, and the title of the Work.

I'm still not convinced that this clause meets the Debian Free Software
Guidelines. See my previous comment [1].

[1] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2012-January/006602.html

You can regard me as one of those who are sceptical whether the Debian Free Software Guidelines should dictate licences used for many things that are not software such as free education resources. Why shouldn't the Creative Commons community decide such issues of principle rather than have them decided by for Creative Commons by the Debian community?

Since I don't think that a license can (allow a licensor to)
forbid an accurate credit and meet the DFSG at the same time,
I recommend that this clause be dropped entirely from CC-v4.0
licenses, or, at least, amended so that it says:

| You must, to the extent reasonably practicable, remove the
| information specified in (i) – (iii) above if the information is
| inaccurate or misleading and the removal is requested by Licensor

I hope this suggestion may be implemented in the next draft.

I've advised many potential users of Creative Commons licences who are reluctant to use Creative Commons at all, or plan to use Creative Commons Attribution No Derivatives because they are concerned that their reputations will be irreparably damaged by a remix of the works which they license under Creative Commons. Most have been sufficiently reassured by the provision which allows the licensor to require that the Attribution be removed to use CC By SA and CC By. If this provision is removed then many of those Licensors will choose to use CC By ND, or not to use CC at all.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!