cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 4.0 draft ready for public comment

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Diane Peters <diane AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 4.0 draft ready for public comment
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:39:58 -0700

Hi Luis,

Glad you like the draft, and thanks for raising the question of how to best comment.  The primary forum for substantive discussions will continue to be this list.  The 4.0 wiki supports this discussion forum, serving as a place where conversations can be distilled from various threads and where we will document drafting decisions in each published draft.  But for those not wanting to raise a substantive issue on the list, the wiki is the next best place at this time.  We monitor that daily.

We have talked about using Co-ment or a similar tool to facilitate commenting on specific license language later in the process.  We haven't deployed that yet.  For the past 3 months we've held an open requirements gathering period to encourage discussion of policy asks and issues.  Without a first draft, this seemed the most sensical means for gathering input.  Now that we have a first draft in circulation, we are revisiting these other tools as possible mechanisms for gathering more detailed comments.

It bears emphasis that we're still early in the process.  At this point, we'd prefer to keep focus on issues that remain unsettled or could benefit from further public discussion to progress before draft #2 is published.  We hope to see discussions involving those issues unfold on this list, or the wiki if that's the contributor's preference, in which case CC will post those generically to the license-discuss list to facilitate feedback.

How those issues get addressed will result in changes to the legal code in draft #2.  Everyone is of course welcome to comment at any level of detail at any time.  For improvements to phraseology and similarly specific comments that may not seem significant enough to post to this list, feel free to post those on our Sandbox page here.

Diane