cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed: parallel distribution

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed: parallel distribution
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 20:06:06 +0000

On 01/02/12 18:09, Francesco Poli wrote:

> What can you really do for that recipient that is trapped in a
> DRM-locked platform?

Why are we concerned about helping keep people locked into DRM-locked
platforms?

Helping to keep people locked in to DRM-locked platforms helps platform
vendors, not users.

It is not something that can be done in the name of freedom.

> If the "parallel distribution" scenario is *not* allowed, *any*
> distribution of CC-licensed works to him/her is forbidden.

CC-licensed works are works that you are free to use. DRM removes that
freedom.

The problem is with DRM, not with CC-licensed works.

The solution is to help people install or move to free systems.

All this said, people should be free to use the work privately however
they wish, this includes applying DRM where this is necessary to
download work to effectively read-only devices.

- Rob.