cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed: parallel distribution

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Francesco Poli <invernomuto AT paranoici.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed: parallel distribution
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 19:09:29 +0100

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 19:19:33 -0500 drew Roberts wrote:

> On Friday 27 January 2012 16:27:58 Francesco Poli wrote:
[...]
> > I am convinced that some (excessive) forms of prohibition of DRM are
> > non-free restrictions.
>
> Can you give some examples of what you consider to be non-excessive and
> excessive prohibitions?

Basically, I think that banning *all* DRM, no matter what, is an
excessive form of prohibition and is a non-free restriction.

A non-excessive form of prohibition would be one that allows the
distribution of DRM-encumbered copies, *as long as* an unencumbered
copy is offered in parallel (the so-called "parallel distribution"
scenario).

> > I think that there are indeed ways to fight against DRM without
> > introducing non-free restrictions. But forbidding all kinds of
> > distribution of DRM-encumbered copies is a non-free restriction, IMHO.
> >
> > I think that allowing the distribution of DRM-encumbered with the
> > parallel distribution of an unencumbered copy adequately fights against
> > DRM and protects the recipients' freedom.
>
> Not necessarily for that recipient who only has the box that is "DRM
> locked"
> surely. Or please explain.

What can you really do for that recipient that is trapped in a
DRM-locked platform?

If the "parallel distribution" scenario is *not* allowed, *any*
distribution of CC-licensed works to him/her is forbidden.
This won't give him/her any more freedom over CC-licensed works.
He/she won't even have an opportunity to come into contact with such
works...
And I don't think that many users will abandon DRM-locked platforms,
just in order to be able to get CC-licensed works, especially taking
into account that, if they don't even have a possibility to get to know
those works, they don't know what they are missing...

--
http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
New GnuPG key, see the transition document!