cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification for Non-Derivative License: grayscale from color not a derivative work

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sarah Pearson <sarah AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification for Non-Derivative License: grayscale from color not a derivative work
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 09:12:11 -0800

@Gregor:  As promised last week, I wanted to follow up with a longer email in response to your proposal that CC move away from defaulting to applicable law.

As I understand it, the reason CC licenses so often rely on applicable law is that the licenses are designed to sit atop copyright law, so that they work just as copyright law works around the world. Copyright law is territorial, which means a work is protected according to the national laws where the copyright is operating, which as a general matter means where the work is being used. (e.g, a single work is potentially subject to hundreds of different copyright law schemes.) Obviously, this concept becomes highly complicated when we are dealing with works that have authors from all over the world, like Wikipedia. It is complicated even for single author works because the question of where the work is used when it's accessed online is not always straightforward.

Nonetheless, the idea is that by relying on applicable law, CC licenses are not imposing any obligations or limiting or expanding any rights or protections people otherwise have under copyright law.

The downside to this approach, of course, is that it often results in uncertainty. Copyright law is complicated and messy, especially when you start trying to tackle the question of what law applies to a particular use. In some instances, CC has decided to opt for certainty and dictate a particular approach for various issues, as with synching as I mentioned in a prior email. There are other examples of this in CC licenses as well, and we are compiling a comprehensive list of those exceptions, which we will put up on the wiki soon. We can certainly consider adding other clarifying language in the licenses. The problem then becomes whether we can agree on which particular result we want as the outcome.

Another sidenote: While CC generally discourages choice of law provisions in its ported licenses, a handful of licenses ported to particular jurisdictions have choice of law clauses. That means the license defaults to the law of the specified jurisdiction, regardless of whether that jurisdiction's law would otherwise be applicable. This approach gives more certainty than relying on applicable local law, but it still leaves a lot of unanswered questions since even one body of law rarely gives us clear cut answers.

All of this is to say, there are good arguments both for and against opting for applicable law. This page on the wiki delves into this issue in more depth: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/License_subject_matter#Automatic_localization_of_the_license. I urge you (and others!) to add your thoughts and additional proposals to this page. Also, of course, please continue to debate different proposals on this list.

best.
Sarah

Sarah Hinchliff Pearson, Senior Counsel
Creative Commons
444 Castro Street, Suite 900
Mountain View, California 94041
phone: +1 650-294-4732 (ext. 493)
skype: sarah-h-pearson
email: sarah AT creativecommons.org

Please donate to the CC Annual Campaign, going on now! https://creativecommons.net/donate

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be legal
advice nor should they be relied upon as, or represented to be legal
advice.  Creative Commons cannot and does not give legal advice.