cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft launch

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Claudio Ruiz <claudio AT derechosdigitales.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft launch
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:04:52 -0300

El 30-01-2008, a las 13:17, David Maeztu escribió:

Hi Claudio

I´m from spain but I`ve been working on legal issues about public domain
in Spain, specially with moral rights, and as you know we share many
parts of our legal codes.

I think in Chile you have to read art. 11 of Copyright law in relation
with art. 12 of Civil Code, both of Chile.

Copyright law
Art. 11. Pertenecen al patrimonio cultural común:
c) Las obras cuyos titulares renunciaron a la protección que otorga esta
ley;

[Art. 11 Belong to common cultural patrimony: (Public Domain)
c) The works whose holders resigned to the protection that grants this law]

Civil Code
Art. 12. Podrán renunciarse los derechos conferidos por las leyes, con
tal que sólo miren al interés individual del renunciante, y que no esté
prohibida su renuncia.

[The rights conferred by the laws will could be resigned, provided they
only watch the individual interest of the renunciante, and that is not
prohibited its resignation.]

As you say there´s a problem with article 86, but I cannot figure what´s
the aim of the artícle 11.c if it´s forbidden by that 86.

Art. 86. Son irrenunciables los derechos patrimoniales que esta ley
otorga a los titulares de los derechos de autor y conexos, especialmente
los porcentajes a que se refieren los artículos 50, 61, 62 y 67.

[The patrimonial rights are cannot be waived that this law grants the
holders of the connected rights of author and, specially the percentage
to that articles 50, 61, 62 and 67 talk about.]

It seems there´s a bug, :)

Oh yeah, art. 86 it's a HUGE bug.
But this not solve the bug, because art. 86 actually assert that *this kind of rights* cannot be waived, so it's ok with civil code.
Moreover there are another possibility based on our strict interpretation rules to solve this king of legal conflict, but as you know, in our tradition each judicial decision only has relative effects and not settle jurisprudence.

We've been in our National Congress debating the reform of copyright law
and this is certainly a very important situation that we've pointed, but
there's not solution at this time. I think this legal situation must be
solved before spread CC0 in Chile. Sadly :(

What told you, in National Congress, about this matter?

Un saludo.

Actually right now we're in reformation process of our copyright law in accordance with our US FTA. In this reformation process, congress men are very concern on statue a law that not solve the legal absurd on the digital world. Last year we were in our Representative Camera and Senate to present this and another copyright issues as NGO Derechos Digitales and also as CC local chapter, and we really think that this project can resolve, if not all of them, a lot of copyright problems that our law have. Senators also have emotional arguments in order to statue a law that treat his children as thieves :). I've write a post in my weblog about this [http://www.quemarlasnaves.net/2008/01/30/senadores-se-refieren-a-las-descargas-por-internet-buenas-y-malas-noticias/ ].

Best,
Claudio

Claudio