cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:33:19 -0400

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 08:24 am, paola.dimaio AT gmail.com wrote:
> Drew
>
> > The law already protects your work from unlawful exploitation. Otherwise,
> > it would be lawful exploitation. You seem to be wanting redundancy, not
> > only should it be unlawful due to the laws already on the books, it also
> > should be unlawful due to copyright laws.
>
> - I dont want to 'sue' someone from using my work in a way that I do
> not approve of
> I have an obligation, as a creator, to make sure that any conditions
> and warrants
> about usage of my work are explicitly expressed upfront - that would
> make law enforcement much easier.
> As I want to grant 'upfront' permission in general, I also want to
> make explicit 'upfront'
> what invalidates the permission given upfront above
>
> > Again I ask, if someone is going to break those more serious laws in
> > exploiting your work, why would a copyright law prevent them?
>
> I cannot sue someone for using my content illegally when I license it
> under terms that
> allow them to do so 'freely'. Someone selling weapons on the internet,
> may well be doing so 'legally'. I do not want them to use any of my cc
> work under no condition whatsoever

Then you need to be more clear and consistent in expressing your desires. You
mentioned illegal or unlawful exploitation. That is not your real issue it
seems.

> > I think perhaps your concern is rather over your "perceived" support of
> > these uses.
>
> not really - I simply dont want my work used for certain purposes,
> while i want to make it free and acessible for everything else
>

> I think that is a real danger that those of us concerned with Free
>
> > works are doing to face until the world gets used to Free works and
> > people grow in their understanding of Free licensing works.
>
> yes I agree- I also know that free licensing is not the best choice for all
> work
>
> > Which licenses do you want this for? BY-NC? BY-NC-ND? BY? BY-SA?
> > BY-NC-SA?
>
> I think every license would benefit from having a +E flavour

Well, it will not work with the SA licenses. Since BY-SA (and BY to a lesser
extent) is the license I really care about in the CC realm, that concerns me
greatly.

If you think it could works with SA licenses, please try and lay out a clear
explanation for us all.

It is a trade off. Freedom vs. possible misuse. You can't maintain freedom
and
eliminate possible misuse. If you can explain a clear way that people grok, I
am sure there are many who would be interested.

I tend to make my works free and run the risk. I think this is because I see
the solution is worse than the problem.

I also tend not to put my photos of people up under Free licenses as I think
the reverse may hold in such instances and I am unfamiliarenough with the
working of the other laws in relation to images of people to not be
comfortable taking that step. Even more so when it comes to images of
children.

I have even thought of possible rating clauses for licenses. (BY-SA-PG,
BY-SA-G, BY-SA-R anyone?) But honestly, that is a hugh mess waiting to
happen. Unless someone hasway more insight into such a mechanism that I do.