cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] What precisely IS "commercial" use?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: paola.dimaio AT gmail.com
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] What precisely IS "commercial" use?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:36:38 +0700

Commercial use is when there is an economic and or financial benefit deriving from the usage
is there is no money exchanging hand, it can be said that its not commercial
if there is some other benefit which is not money, it will have to be evaluated on a case by case basis
(from what I know)

On 9/19/07, James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net> wrote:
Stephen Buel wrote:
> Is publication of a photograph in the news pages of a newspaper a
> commercial or noncommercial use?  My first thought was that it must be
> commercial, but then I read something in the FAQs that suggests that web
> site publication is noncommercial, and that made me wonder.  Let me
> stipulate that the newspaper is a commercial enterprise.

The Noncommercial guidelines would say "it's a commercial use" right at
the first step, because the newspaper is a commercial user:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/DiscussionDraftNonCommercial_Guidelines

James