cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] What precisely IS "commercial" use?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Stephen Buel" <Stephen.Buel AT eastbayexpress.com>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] What precisely IS "commercial" use?
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:44:32 -0700

Is publication of a photograph in the news pages of a newspaper a commercial or noncommercial use?  My first thought was that it must be commercial, but then I read something in the FAQs that suggests that web site publication is noncommercial, and that made me wonder.  Let me stipulate that the newspaper is a commercial enterprise.

Stephen Buel
Editor /
East Bay Express
1335 Stanford Ave., Suite 100
Emeryville, CA 94608
W: 510 879-3708 / F: 510-842-1492
Stephen.Buel AT EastBayExpress.com
EastBayExpress.com

Independently owned and operated since Hank Aaron was the home run king