cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Creative Commons and Collection Society

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jamison Young <jam AT jamyoung.net>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Creative Commons and Collection Society
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 20:10:39 +0200

Hi CC mailing list,

I wanted to say something about collection societies and the way i see things to CC. The problem looks to be that the contract that the artist signs when they join the collection society does not agree with the CC one. From what I understand myspace is also in conflict with the artist contract. When i look at the collection societies website I don't see much bad information about myspace, yet I do see some not so good press about Creative Commons. The Jamendo service seems to be a far more natural and attractive way to go than myspace. Does CC have to be a part of the collection system, isn't the system just going to fall apart in time ?

regards,
Jamison