cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] cc-by-sa and gpl

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Andres Guadamuz" <a.guadamuz AT ed.ac.uk>
  • To: <adam AT xs4all.nl>, "'Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts'" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] cc-by-sa and gpl
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:43:21 +0100

Dear Adam,

As far as I know, there is an official list of compatible licences, which is
empty at the moment. See:

http://creativecommons.org/compatiblelicenses

In my very personal opinion, GPL v2 is similar enough to BY-SA to fulfil the
requirement of "similarity" described in the licence. However, GPL v3 is
entirely different, and IMO it's not similar enough.

Best Regards,

Andres

-----------------
Andres Guadamuz
AHRC Research Centre for Studies in
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Old College, South Bridge
Edinburgh EH8 9YL

Tel: 44 (0)131 6509699
Fax: 44 (0)131 6506317
a.guadamuz AT ed.ac.uk
http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrc/

IP/IT/Medical Law LLM by Distance Learning
http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/distancelearning/