cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] The FSF On FDL Derivatives

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] The FSF On FDL Derivatives
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 12:34:15 +0100

(I'm posting this here because of the recent debate about photography.)

The FSF have blogged about their interpretation of the scope of the FDL:

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/2007-05-08-fdl-scope

They support the position that Ben Mako Hill described, where use of an image to illustrate a text creates a derivative. It's well worth a read.

I was particularly interested by this statement:

"In cases like these where the materials complement each other, we believe that the end result is a derivative work."

This contains two useful distinctions. The materials have been chosen to complement each other to form a unit of presumably increased value or greater use rather than just being aggregated. And *the end result* is the derivative work, not the text or the photo, so legal causality isn't broken.

What I am curious about is what exactly this "end result" is (collective work, new multimedia work, or ...?) and how far-reaching this effect is (particularly with regard to e.g. contextual advertising).

- Rob.