cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Free as in Gru

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Dana Powers" <dana.powers AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Free as in Gru
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:17:05 -0700

Fine. I'll bite. Dear lord.

The idea of granting "rights" is likely very confusing for authors and
artists who are used to the world of traditional media licensing.
Rights are what the copyright holder "owns." Giving rights away is
not what artists who choose NC, for example, intend. They want to
continue ownership of their distribution, performance, derivative,
etc, rights so they can relicense those rights to commercial parties
down the road. Moreover, royalties collected by groups like ASCAP,
BMI, SESAC, and SoundExchange are paid to the "rights" owner. These
"rights" are transferrable, and indeed transferred often in
traditional licensing contracts. CC licenses don't, however, transfer
these "rights" and any confusion about that point would certainly be a
hinderance to their further use.

Moreover, as a strict legal matter the freedoms offered by a CC
license (from rights holder to end user) are not "rights" per se, they
are privileges conditioned on conformity with the contractual
obligations detailed in the license itself. a CC license says: if you
do X, you can do Y (without having to ask me first). That is not a
legal entitlement, that is a bargain between two private parties. The
real "right" here is that of either party to claim a remedy for breach
of their private agreement from the governing sovereign.

There is a difference between "rights" and "freedoms." They are
different words. Of course they have different connotaions and
denotations. I am certain the phrasing of the CC "elevator pitch" has
been thought through extensively, and no doubt with due regards to the
principles of the Free Software movement. If you're argument for
changing this pitch is that Richard Stallman says Freedom is something
else, you should know by now that you've got more work to do.

Best,
Dana