cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] just share alike

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] just share alike
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:00:42 -0400

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 09:55 pm, matt draghi wrote:
> Thanks for the info. Regarding my not wanting to require the stating of
> the license, my reasoning was that since we are to assume that any work we
> find could very well have all the rights reserved, I wouldn't really be
> restricting anyone by not requiring the information of the license. If they
> did not know the license of the artwork, they should assume that the rights
> are all reserved and should believe that with regard to the law they should
> not be copying it in the first place, let alone restricting the copies or
> modifications of their copy. So wouldn't it be up to the copier to either
> try to find out the license somehow or assume that all rights are reserved
> if they can't or don't want to find out the license - in the case where
> there is not a license stated along with the artwork? (All the above is
> referring to having only the share alike restriction with no other
> restrictions present)

There is a guy named Crosbie Fitch over at Digital Productions:

http://www.digitalproductions.co.uk/

He is trying to come up with a Concise Copyleft:

http://www.digitalproductions.co.uk/index.php?id=54

So far he has come up with:

"You are free to take any liberties you wish with my published work, with but
one constraint: The liberties you take may not be withheld from those to whom
you give my work (or your combined/derivative work), who you must similarly
constrain."

Would such language work as safe legal language. (Safe for both side of the
deal. - This question for anyone naturally.)

Would something like that work for you?