cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Björn Terelius" <bjorn.terelius AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:20:30 +0200

On 4/25/07, Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-25-04 at 12:15 +0200, Björn Terelius wrote:

> I think it is unfortunate that CC does not extend this help to
> programmers, and I see no reason (other than the practical) why it
> hasn't been done.

If you want to use Creative Commons licenses for software, you should.
They work fine.

But the Creative Commons discourage that.

If you want Creative Commons to endorse and promote the use of CC
licenses for software, well... that's an unlikely outcome. Arguing with
people on this mailing list is not the way to achieve that goal.

Why is it such an unlikely outcome that CC would endorse their own licenses for software? The way I see it, the licenses wouldn't need very much changes. (Mostly definition and conditions of source code, just like you said.) The software versions could be created as a subproject (perhaps a software commons like the science commons), so the changes would not have to be made in the original license.

-Bjorn Terelius