cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Jonathon Blake" <jonathon.blake AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:28:22 +0000

Drew wrote:

> gratis, and it it may not be distributed in any manner that even hints
> at being a non-gratis transaction.]

Won't you run aground on the first sale doctrine?
Or is that really only sale?

That is why I will have a lawyer draw up the licence.

I know of several used book stores that were taken to court, for
selling books that were marked "This book is not to be sold". I also
know of a store that sold used CDs that was taken to court for selling
promotional CDs that were given to radio stations and "celebrity" DJs.

If I give an NC book to a friend, can they really never sell it in a garage
sale?

With the restrictions on the licence I want, that will be a licence
violation, and grounds for civil prosecution.

> incorporation as "limited by guarantee".)
All I need is a pint a day?

ROTFLOL.

xan

jonathon