cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Non-commercial ***advertising revenue***

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Non-commercial ***advertising revenue***
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 11:38:05 +0100

Roger Chrisman skrev:
I heard mention of a "clarification" to the CC Non-commercial license element that allows advertising such as Google Ads. Anyone know more about this "clarification" and where it is written?

I looked for it in the CC Non-commercial license element but I don't think I found it there and the element seems vague and wide open to interpretation to me. Here is NC license element *4c* of by-nc-sa-3.0 [1] (identical but for the typo "con-nection" to element *4b* of by-nc-nd-3.0 [2] and by-nc-3.0 [3]):

It's worth remembering that, as Lawrence Rosen puts it in his book 'Open Source Licensing Software Freedom and Intellectual Property Law' (p. 120), "[u]nder the law, only the common understanding of a licensor and his licensees matters, as reflected in the written terms and conditions of the license agreement between them." How CC defines non-commercial doesn't matter as much as how you and your licensees defines it.

It's also worth remembering that a licensor's ability to govern the meaning of unclear or ambiguous terms in the license varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

CC's FAQ in general is therefore just a guideline and not a set of hard rules.

/Peter Brink