cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Non-commercial ***advertising revenue***

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Non-commercial ***advertising revenue***
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:38:24 +0100

Jonathon Blake skrev:
(from the "Non-commercial ***advertising revenue***" thread)

But will I win a lawsuit against an individual, or company that puts
my NC-licenced material on a website that has Google adds next to it,
or requires one to click on an add to view my NC content?

My understanding --- which is part of the NC material I wrote ---
states that that is clearly commercial, and as such is a violation of
the CC-NC licence.

IMO, if a licensor explains how he understands the terms of the license, for example in his own version of the deed document, he (and the licensee) would likely be bound by that statement. However his statement must be clearly visible to a prospective the licensee and easily available to him, for example on the web page from where one downloads content.

If I would post my own definition of the term "non-commercial" where I defined commercial, among other things, as "any activity that make use of the work as a way of generating revenues, for example posting the work next to adds." and also "use by educational institutions, such as schools and universities, are not considered commercial in this context", then I would probably win a case where the licensee had used my NC-licensed material on a website that had Google adds all over it.

/Peter Brink