cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NC considered harmful? Prove it...
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 22:15:19 -0500

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 10:01 pm, Luis Villa wrote:
> On 3/7/07, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:

> > > [Sorry, this is too short, deserves a lot more, but I'm busy ATM :/
> > >
> > >There are some variants of open source software
> > > licenses with NC terms, but they aren't popular.
> >
> > Huh? You have lost me there. Can you explain and give examples? Isn't
> > this impossible by definition?
>
> I use the term 'open source' loosely here; not OSI-approved, but
> rather in the broader family of source-available software copyright
> licenses, some of which are similar in spirit to NC.

Now I understand, but I would suggest that this might not be the best way to
go if you care about Free or Open Source projects.

> (Search for
> 'commercial' in http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/ for some
> examples. You've never heard of most of them, which I think helps
> prove the point- projects which use them tend to die or relicense.)
>
> > > I disagree with Greg's suggestion that this is psychological; if
> > > people didn't want to contribute under restrictive licenses then the
> > > BSD and Apache licenses would be much more commong than they currently
> > > are. They aren't, so we have to look for non-psychological reasons.
> >
> > I am not sure I follow this line of thinking. Can you explain this as
> > well? (No pressure.)
>
> Greg says:
>
> "Well, it's based in part in an understanding of human psychology.
> Why do people contribute to a Free project?
> The answer seems to reflect a notion that most people who contribute
> to Free projects don't want to contribute their time and energy to
> something that is restricted as much as CC-NC is."
>
> While Greg wasn't completely clear, he seemed to be arguing that other
> things being equal, people would contribute to projects under less
> restrictive licenses.
>
> GPL is a more restrictive license than BSD or Apache, and yet is
> vastly more popular, so I think Greg's contention (if I understand it
> correctly) is incorrect.

If we only looked at one generation, perhaps, but I happen to think that
people look to generations beyond. So while contributing to a BSD project
might be seen as contributing to a project with a less restrictive license,
one more generation results in contributing to a project with way more
restrictions.

That could easily be the calculation going on.

> Hope that clarifies-

It does, thanks.

> Luis

(da idea man)