cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA CompatibilityLanguageToo

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA CompatibilityLanguageToo
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:57:44 -0500

drew Roberts wrote:
On Tuesday 13 February 2007 08:44 pm, James Grimmelmann wrote:
drew Roberts wrote:
On Tuesday 13 February 2007 07:56 pm, Jonathon Blake wrote:
On 2/13/07, tomislav medak wrote:
first reason would be: how do you define 'free'?, or rather 'freedoms',
or 'free enough' to be called that. for instance, freedom to share
licensed works is given by all standard CC licenses and it is a
freedom.
First, get rid of CC as a brand name. Keep the name for the
organization, if you so desire.

Debian Legal has a set of four definitions,and three tests that can be
used to determine whether or not something is "free". Anything which
passes all of those criteria is "free". Call that the _Free Content
Licence_.

The BY and BY-SA variants can be called the _Free Authors Licence_.

BY-NC-ND can be relabelled as _The Usage is Banned Licence_
Not so sure this description fits. You can "use" such a book to read or
as a door stop... ?

A bit off topic here... Is it legal for a for profit entity to download
NC documents off of web sites?
Under step 1 of the draft NC guidelines, no.

Care to give a step by step explanation of where copyright would be violated?

When I click on the download link, I initiate a process whereby a copy is created on my computer.

In a download situation, who makes the copy? The person with the web server, or the person with the web browser? Both?

This is a subject of some dispute as to the the person with the web server. (The public distribution right is more clearly implicated than the copying right). U.S. judicial authority generally holds that the person with the web browser creates a copy.

James