cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Share-alike != Copyleft ?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Share-alike != Copyleft ?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:49:05 -0500

On Monday 12 February 2007 10:19 am, Terry Hancock wrote:
> Erik Moeller wrote:
> > On 2/12/07, Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com> wrote:
> >>It would be ruinous to the movement if, for example, it became
> >>impossible to use (i.e. reference) GFDL, By-SA, FAL, By, Expat, and/or
> >>GPL images in a single HTML document. In fact, in my own experience, it
> >>has been generally bad enough even that I can't combine GFDL images with
> >> CC-By-SA images within Gimp for use with an article. We don't need a
> >>stronger copyleft than that.
> >
> > This can be dealt with by simply prescribing that works used in a
> > semantic interdependency must be all under a "compatible license",
> > using a similar whitelist that is now being developed for CC-BY-SA
> > 3.0. The works remain separately licensed, but copyleft requires that
> > they all are _freely_ licensed.
>
> Which is conceptually similar to policy documents like the Debian Free
> Software Guidelines which determine whether works are "free enough" to
> be included in the Debian distribution.
>
> I guess the point is that, even if there is some possibility of copyleft
> binding on "semantically linked" works that it should not be as strong
> as the copyleft on truly derived works.
>
> In fact, if such "semantic linking" were to be regarded as an
> intermediate copyleft state, then it would be both more consistent and
> more useful to include synching audio with video in that category. ISTM
> that a person who puts music under a By-SA license would not be
> concerned if the music is used with a movie released under a different
> (but still "free") license.

No, this is something I would object to with my stuff. With a different but
sufficiently strong copyleft license? I would probably go for that. With
essentially a BY licensed movie? I doubt it. If the BY applies to the movie
as a whole. My stuff would end up BY and then all rights reserved with
someone else holding the rights. No thanks.

This really is a hairy issue, isn't it.

> Don't know if the copyright laws would allow that, though.
>
> Cheers,
> Terry

(da idea man)