cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Share-alike != Copyleft ?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Erik Moeller" <erik AT wikimedia.org>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Share-alike != Copyleft ?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:47:32 +0100

On 2/12/07, Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com> wrote:
It would be ruinous to the movement if, for example, it became
impossible to use (i.e. reference) GFDL, By-SA, FAL, By, Expat, and/or
GPL images in a single HTML document. In fact, in my own experience, it
has been generally bad enough even that I can't combine GFDL images with
CC-By-SA images within Gimp for use with an article. We don't need a
stronger copyleft than that.

This can be dealt with by simply prescribing that works used in a
semantic interdependency must be all under a "compatible license",
using a similar whitelist that is now being developed for CC-BY-SA
3.0. The works remain separately licensed, but copyleft requires that
they all are _freely_ licensed.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik