cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Slashdot Thread On "Proving Creative Commons Licensing of a Work?"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Slashdot Thread On "Proving Creative Commons Licensing of a Work?"
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:03:42 -0500 (EST)

> If you had such a screenshot and presented it to
> the court the argument would no doubt be:
> I made this screenshot and then got the work.
>
> however the counterargument could be you got the
> work later, got in trouble went ahead and got a
> screenshot somehow from someone else who had a
> license.

I was a bit concerned about some content I was using,
sent a lawyer friend a URL and had him write up
an affidavit (I think that was the term) that he
got the content (pasted in the document) from the
URL (also pasted) on such and such date. Signed and
dated it. Filed away for reference.

Rather clumsy approach if you're doing this on a regular
basis, though. If the content is popular, then other people
would have used it, and would be willing to testify they
also got it under a CC license as well. If the content only
got picked up by one person, it might be a bit more tough.
But then, maybe it isn't popular enough to be a big deal?

all bugs are shallow with many eyes, I suppose.
Even legal ones.

Greg