cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Is BY-ND a good choice for an Internet XML-based protocol specification?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Is BY-ND a good choice for an Internet XML-based protocol specification?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:08:45 -0500

On Wed, 2007-24-01 at 09:15 -0500, James Grimmelmann wrote:

> > But as of
> > late, he decided to put a license on the specification document, which
> > is to be submited to the IETF as an RFC.
> >
> > The license he chose was CC-BY-ND,

> Net takeaway: ND is ineffectual here. It might help prevent some drift
> in the official standards document, but as long as that's available
> someplace canonical, there's no serious worry that the
> description-of-what-is would drift anyway. Given that, CC-BY seems like
> a perfectly reasonable license for the description.

I'd have to disagree. The IETF has its own idiosyncratic copyright rules
for RFCs and other contributions. It's worth reviewing RFC 3978, which I
think is the latest update to these rules:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3978.txt

The usual deal with RFCs is that they may be copied verbatim by the
public in any medium, for commercial or non-commercial use. Derivative
works may also be published as part of the RFC framework. This is pretty
close to the by-nd license terms, at least in spirit, but there are some
twists and turns that may be incompatible with by-nd.

In other words, if you're going the RFC route, it's probably best to not
screw around with CC licenses and just stick with the IETF's rules.

-Evan

Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
http://evan.prodromou.name/