cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Retracting masterial distributed under aCC 2.0 BY-NC-SA Licence.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Retracting masterial distributed under aCC 2.0 BY-NC-SA Licence.
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:00:38 +0100

Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts skrev:

They just want me to remove the website.

Do you provide web hosting services? If you do I can understand how a third party might request that one of your customers websites be taken down (in whole or just partly) by referring to the DCMA.

But I can't see how such an issue could be related to the CC-license. If I would let someone rent some space on a public notice-board that I own and that someone publishes a work which is licensed under a CC-license (on that board), that would surely not make _me_ a licensee to the license. Why would my tenants contractual obligations (under the CC-license) affect me?

Nor can I see why the landlord could be forced to remove references (links) to such a work that has contested content. The only possibility that I can see is that the tenant requests that any attributions to him are removed, provided of course that the landlord himself distributes the tenants work or has based one of his own works on the tenants work.

/Peter Brink