cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] ParaDist Questions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] ParaDist Questions
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 13:39:43 -0500 (EST)

> My snowglobe example was an ROM. The designer of the system, we can call
> him Dave, can copy data onto the ROM before he ships it out. You, the
> person who buys it, can not. Nobody other than Dave can.
>
> Apple can copy data onto your iPod using iTunes. You, as an iTunes user,
> must only do it on their terms.

But if they distribute CC-SA content and you use anti-TPM clause,
then those terms are exactly the same as CC-SA's terms and all
rights are legally available to everyone.

> There's not crypto involved in either situation. But there is a real
> power disparity of the same type you claim PD is broken because it
> cannot address.

look, snowglobes aren't where apple is going to shift their
business focus to. The day they start selling completely self
contained music players burned with one song in rom is the day
I eat my flat hat.

What might happen is that you have a content player of some kind
with a lot of processing power and IO and buttons and connectors
for earphones and whatnot, and then the company distributes the
content in a ROM cartridge.

This is the way game systems work because a ROM or CD or DVD
is a whole lot cheaper than the processor etc.

So, as soon as some company does that on a level that there is
a "power disparity" of notice, some one will figure out a way
to get the data. Someone figured out how simulate some game system
(sony playstation I think) on a PC, so you could just buy the
game and play them on your PC.

There is not going to be a "power disparity" in snow globes.
I won't believe it until I see it.
And if I do see it, then there will be some guy who's got the
hardware and the technology to get into the chip and pull
the data out and then make it available for everyone.
And there can't be any TPM to invoke the DMCA, so it will be legal.

Problem solved.

Greg
--
Take the Courage Vow