cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Yet more on NC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Yet more on NC
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:37:17 -0400

On Tuesday 17 October 2006 06:55 pm, Discussion on the Creative Commons
license drafts wrote:
> Drew wrote:
> >> Rename the licences to:
> >>
> >> gratis-BY-SA
> >> gratis-BY-ND
> >> gratis-BY
> >> gratis
> >>
> >> Then include a clause to the effect of "This material may not be sold,
> >> transmitted, replicated, duplicated, or otherwise distributed in a
> >> manner which cause a charge, whether direct, indirect, or associated
> >> with the material, to the recipient of the material. All expenses in
> >> distribution have to be born by the distributor, who may not receive any
> >> compensation for the distribution."
> >
> > This is not what I want for my BY-Sa works at all. I want BY-SA(libre)
> > and they can charge if the market will permit it.
>
> That isn't for your CC-BY licence. It is to replace CC-NC licences.
>
> I will grant that CC-BY-SA might get confused with gratis-BY-SA. But
> with that clause, it should be pretty obvious to anybody that reads it,
> that gratis-style licences mean that distribution will cost them money
> that they won't be able to recoup.
>
> > Unless I missed you meaning an you intend gratis to replace NC, which I
> > now think you might.
>
> I did. I didn't make that part clear.

Right, as you can see, I picked up on it on second thought, but left the
original in in case the second thought was wrong.

As I say, I would rather they leave that alone and create and promote, or at
least create and let us promote Free CC.

> > Now, I might like some tweaking as to what is considered "mere
>
> aggregation" but that is a separate issue.
>
> Is it just me, or is what constitutes "mere aggregation" raising its
> head in a number of software projects (both open source, and closed
> source)?

With me, it came up here because, while using my song in a movie invokes a
derivative and not mere aggregation, using my photo in a book is considered
mere aggregation from what I have seen discussed. Sometimes, I think I would
like the stronger restrictions/protections for works and situations other
than music in video.

> xan
>
> jonathon

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month
http://www.nanowrimo.org/index.php
Join me and write a novel in 30 days! Dont delay!