cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] New Generic and ports

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] New Generic and ports
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 22:01:45 -0500

drew Roberts wrote:
As big a bug as NC is, I think ND is a bigger one. Exactly what, from
a creative comons point of view, can one do with an ND work that you
can't do with an all rights reserved work. (I am not saying that I
don't prefer ND works or even NC-ND works to "ARR" works, just asking
what commons benefit they give?)

I think ND is fine. Unlike NC it is completely unambiguous in what it requires and also in what the effect will be. IMHO, there is no possibility that an author using ND will be confused about the possibility of "network effects" or "collaborative leverage" that are often the reasons for making a work "free" (i.e. By or By-SA).

I think that NC, on the other hand, creates enormous confusion, because people mean so many different things when they say "non-commercial" (ranging from "you can't charge for the work itself" to "you can't benefit in any financial way from use of the work" to "you can only use the work if you are not a commercial entity", etc).

But ND, while clearly "non-free", doesn't cause any confusion. Everybody knows what it allows: you can download, you can share, but you can't change it. The typos must remain unfixed!

Seriously, though ND is an excellent choice of license for a political position statement, for example, because changes might misrepresent your position. The GFDL has elaborate language to deal with "endorsements" and so forth, but ND makes it pretty simple.

To directly answer your question, BTW, you can't redistribute an ARR work, but you can with ND. In fact, if one hasn't also used NC, you may even redistribute commercially.

Cheers,
Terry