cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Yet more on NC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Yet more on NC
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:55:16 +0000

Drew wrote:

Rename the licences to:

gratis-BY-SA
gratis-BY-ND
gratis-BY
gratis

Then include a clause to the effect of "This material may not be sold,
transmitted, replicated, duplicated, or otherwise distributed in a
manner which cause a charge, whether direct, indirect, or associated
with the material, to the recipient of the material. All expenses in
distribution have to be born by the distributor, who may not receive any
compensation for the distribution."

This is not what I want for my BY-Sa works at all. I want BY-SA(libre) and they can charge if the market will permit it.

That isn't for your CC-BY licence. It is to replace CC-NC licences.

I will grant that CC-BY-SA might get confused with gratis-BY-SA. But with that clause, it should be pretty obvious to anybody that reads it, that gratis-style licences mean that distribution will cost them money that they won't be able to recoup.

Unless I missed you meaning an you intend gratis to replace NC, which I now think you might.

I did. I didn't make that part clear.

> Now, I might like some tweaking as to what is considered "mere aggregation" but that is a separate issue.

Is it just me, or is what constitutes "mere aggregation" raising its head in a number of software projects (both open source, and closed source)?

xan

jonathon