cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 10:31:20 -0400

On Mon, 2006-02-10 at 10:10 -0400, Greg London wrote:
CC-ShareAlike is intended for community projects that
need copyleft protection to prevent a proprietary
interest from taking the project private and using that
copy to compete against the open project.
Perhaps, Greg, if you didn't write the license and had no hand in its creation, you should avoid ascribing any particular intention to the authors or the licensors.

For myself, I know that, as the author many Attribution-ShareAlike works and organizer of one of the largest Attribution-ShareAlike projects around, my intention is to ensure that developers of derivative works grant the same rights that they were granted. I'm not afraid of competition if I can re-incorporate any additions back into my work.
Software patent-banning clauses are an attempt
to use law to outlaw code! We should allow
software patents in GPL'ed code! Preventing
patents prevents functionality! Prevents code!
We must be Free to make the work Less Free
so that we can have this patented functionality!
There are a number of projects that offer software implementing patented techniques under the GPL. Yahoo! DomainKeys comes immediately to mind:
http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

~Evan